Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Cat In The Hat...



"Three times now Kitten Little" "Really?"  This past Saturday afternoon? Kitten Little went outside, when he did I do not know. I wouldn't ever let the runt kitty out in a severe storm but he was outside. About 3ish in the morning I woke up and was positive I heard him cry; I looked around but Kitten Little was no where to be found. I was up early Sunday morning, rain pouring down and I went looking for Simon. (Kitten Little is his nick name because he's a runt)

It didn't take long but I located Simon in a 60 - 70 foot tree and he was close to the top. He was barely able to cling to the tree limbs. This isn't a wide tree by any means. OK, I extended our ladder as far as it will extend safely. I tied the ladder off for my safety and investigated the situation. The tree was straight up, wet and slippery which is why he was clinging to the few little limbs he had found.

I tried my trick from the last cat rescue and anchored the kitty carrier to the top of the ladder with carpet and food. I spent the rest of the day trying to coax him down but zero luck. I knew he was going to end up spending the night in the rain so I took an 18 foot extendable pole an quickly built a 6 x 12 rest which I attached using a pipe fitting. I knew this was unsafe as the two threads were different but I needed to put as safe a cat perch in the tree as I could. I climbed the tree with my kitty perch, extended the pole to it's longest reach and anchored the perch 18 feet above the ladder.  Seeing the perch and with a lot of coaxing the upset kitten shimmied down the tree and to the perch. This was a good sign to me because this is the natural way a cat climbs down a tree. Well, all I needed to do was coax the kitten down another 18 feet to the waiting cat carrier but this will have to happen tomorrow.

I got up about 3:00 a.m. Monday morning and went to check on Simon. He was cold, wet and upset. I decided to build another perch which I hoped he would climb down too getting him much closer to the cat carrier. I tried from 3:00 to 5:30 a.m. to coax the kitten down but the perch he was on was solid, it was raining and he wasn't budge. I had to get to work and the rescue would have to wait until 8:00 p.m. When I arrived home I checked in with my wife and went out to check on the cat. He was real upset but he was dry as it had been a nice day. It took a while but I was able to coax him down to the second perch but it was so flimsy he immediately climbed back up to the first perch. The rescue would have to wait until Tuesday morning; I went to bed.

Tuesday morning, 4:30 a.m. I worked with kitten trying to coax him down but no luck. The cat had now been in the tree since Saturday so I was beginning to worry about his health; he had no food or water now Since Saturday afternoon. I went to another 12 hour shift and had even designed in my head a platform I would build when I got home. To my horror, when I got home the first perch had broken and had fallen to the ground. I looked to the tree but no Kitten Little. I called out for him and heard a very faint cry. I began to look to the ground for what would be a very hurt cat but no luck. I called again and heard the faint cry again. I decided to climb the ladder and hoped to have a better vantage point for locating the cat. As I got closer to the cat carrier I began to hear a much louder cry and then I knew, Kitten Little had gotten into the carrier. The carrier, by the way, is at about a 75 degree angle as it was the only way I could wedge it and secure it to the tree. When I reached the cat carrier I was over-joyed to find Kitten Little safe but scared. I closed the door and lowered the scared kitten to my wife who took him inside. He's fine and hasn't left my side since Tuesday night.

I know it seems silly to most to attempt a dangerous rescue, certainly on a pet but I love my cats and I care for their safety and well being. Would Kitten Little had ever come down on is own? I don't know but I'm afraid there is a time we're going to find out. But, for now I'm glad he's safe and happy.

18 comments:

Mamma has spoken said...

Hehehe,where's the fire department when you need them ;o)
Glad the cat is safe, I would have had my hubby do the same thing.

Ms. A said...

Glad you didn't kill yourself... again. You've been lucky and that cat has, too! And just look how aloof and unbothered he looks in that video, after everything you went through.

DeanO said...

Ms. A...I was thinking the same thing, I was wishing for those big teary cat eyes of joy for the picture; but NO.

Mamma has spoken...I knew your hubby would do the same :)

Donna said...

We have a cat that gets run up a tree every night! The longest he has stayed is 4 days. He is becoming quite skinny and frail. He is scared of everything now! Our teenage son is getting tired of climbing to the top of trees to get him down and tried locking him up at night for a while. This worked for about a week, and now he is back to trying out new trees. We call him Scaredy Cat!

DeanO said...

Wow, every night! I wouldn't have the energy to deal with that. I wonder why he does that? The truth is it's dangerous for your son to climb the tree to get the cat; if the cat does to your son like Kitten Little did to me the first rescue attempt he'll attack you son out of fear and cling to him for dear life. My friend at work said we could cat proof our trees and I replied "On 10 acres of property?" Scaredy Cat...I love it

SweetMarie said...

I completely understand your concern for your pets, but please stay off the ladders if possible. :)

DeanO said...

I didn't know how exhausted I was SweetMarie. When I got home from work, rescued the cat, ate dinner and watched a little TV I slept for 12 straight hours. Ladders, I hate them and being 30 feet in the air...scary

Chatty Crone said...

You are wonderful Dean - but don't let that cat out again!!! sandie

Lindsjö taxar said...

Good Everything Went well . Nice to hear your voice...

Kid said...

DeanO, I'm right there with ya. Similar experiences, tho not 4 days in a tree.

Is it always the same tree? Maybe you can afix 'something' about 5 feet up that would not let him pass? Big round sheet metal plate that he couldn't get past? hmmm.

IN any case it sounds like he does know how to climb down so if you put the carrier up right away?

Something has his attention up there. Maybe bird related?

Well, glad it worked out to everyone's advantage. :)

WomanHonorThyself said...

I'm glad your'e safe and happy too! great to see u again !!!

DeanO said...

Thanks Angel, glad to have you back...I can't wait to start reading your posts again.

WomanHonorThyself said...

thankee!!! big smile:-)

WomanHonorThyself said...

HAPPY MOM'S DAY TO THE LOVELY LADIES!!!...XOXOXO Have a great weekend to all the gentlemen..heh* :)

Kimmie said...

Glad the Kitty is back on land...what a worrisome situation.

Kimmie
mama to 8
One homemade and 7 adopted

Kimmie said...

Glad the Kitty is back on land...what a worrisome situation.

Kimmie
mama to 8
One homemade and 7 adopted

WomanHonorThyself said...

hope alls well DeanO!!

Mamabug said...

Just saying hello DeanO! Miss you in blogland! Hope you're doing well and just busy.