Thursday, July 26, 2012

Leather Craft "Stitching Pony"

I talked a little, in my last post, about my trip To Tandy Leather Factory; with my good friend Daniel. One of the very important tools needed for Leather Crafts is a tool called a "Stitching Pony". A Stitching Pony is a simple device which holds your leather work thus freeing both hands for sewing. The Stitching Pony is shaped much like an upside down "T". You support the Stitching Pony by sliding the bottom slat under your legs, thus giving great support to the Stitching Pony and freeing both hands for stitching. 

I love Tandy Leather Factory but I about fell over when I saw the sticker price. "Ouch". One look at the price and I leaned over to my buddy and whispered, "I'll build us one" So, below are the pictures of my finished product. The second unit I built is stained a beautiful Mahogany Brown. I believe from here on out I'm only going to use Tung Oil as my stain. 

I'm going to start an eBay store and this will be one of the items I sell. Here is a link to one of the best Stitching Pony plans I found on the Internet. Also, I carefully viewed the video at the end of this post, several times before I began to sketch out plans for my Stitching Pony. I will build another model in which the Stitching Pony rotates.

(PS, is it just me or do pictures seem to come out dark and bluish when posted to Blogger?)




The carriage bolt is used to clamp your leather between the jaws. This works excellent!
These jaws will easily hold as thick of leather as one could possibly stitch!

My cool  leather hinge - I didn't find any leather hinges so I decided to to use a leather hinge.
The decoration are upholstery tacks from the Home Depot

Kinda self explanatory but a great use of a Plano Tackle box from the 70's




9 comments:

Ms. A said...

Nothing beats a handy man... unless it's a handy woman. LOL!

Lindsjö taxar said...

Interesting, what kind of leather things do you do?

TexWisGirl said...

you are quite handy - with woodwork, obviously, and probably leather, too. :)

Amrita said...

A fine piece of work DeanO.

SweetMarie said...

Looks like your getting things all organized! Hope you have a fun weekend!

Kid said...

DeanO, I know nothing about leathercraft, so I'll just say, the pictures are neither dark or bluish.

Diana said...

I don't know anything about stitching Pony's DeanO but it looks well made. What would one make with it? Love Di ♥

coco said...

interesting !

Chris Bursing said...

Did you ever create an eBay or Etsy store for this? I'd be interested in buying one... can you post a link if you have a store, please?

thanks chris